San Frandisco riddles
Q: What do Asian tourists do as soon as they arrive in a foreign city?
A: Gravitate towards Chinatown.
Which is exactly what we did. It was like we never left Melbourne. Chinatowns all around the world must be the same.
San Francisco's eastern shores are beautiful. We walked to all the piers, including the famous Pier 39. It was very touristy, what some people might call "kitsch" but I loved it. We bought the signature meal being sold at every restaurant and stall -- clam chowder in a sourdough bowl.
We went on a bay cruise to Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, the island prison for the worst criminals in USA.
Q: Who are the only two people ever to escape for Alcatraz prison?
A: Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery
(Escape from Alcatraz 1979 & The Rock 1996)
Important things to note about America

San Fran Disco's Union Square. Like Fed Square in Melbourne but not as cool.

Cars actually drive up these things. Some roads are more like walls and these have been blocked off.

Clam chowder in environmentally friendly edible bread bowls. It made it all the more delicious.

There are lots of sea lions in SF. Bet you didn't know that.

Touring the San Francisco Bay by boat. Do you recognise that famous landmark? Yes! It's Joanden Gate Bridge!
A: Gravitate towards Chinatown.
Which is exactly what we did. It was like we never left Melbourne. Chinatowns all around the world must be the same.
San Francisco's eastern shores are beautiful. We walked to all the piers, including the famous Pier 39. It was very touristy, what some people might call "kitsch" but I loved it. We bought the signature meal being sold at every restaurant and stall -- clam chowder in a sourdough bowl.
We went on a bay cruise to Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, the island prison for the worst criminals in USA.
Q: Who are the only two people ever to escape for Alcatraz prison?
A: Clint Eastwood and Sean Connery
(Escape from Alcatraz 1979 & The Rock 1996)
Important things to note about America
- The seagulls are HUGE. HUGE.
- Americans say "leesure" instead of leisure.
- People here aren't really that fat (compared to Australians)
- San Francisco's roads are CRAZY, ridiculously steep.
- Tipping annoys me, if only because I don't know the etiquette of how much and when.
- Buying stuff generates lots of coins -- you start of with bills and end up with fistfuls of 1 cent pennies that aren't even worth a dollar!
- There are ads on TV telling people to buy cars as Christmas gifts! Sheesh!
- I have not come across a single set of normal hot/cold turning taps. Every set of taps here seems to be different. I have to figure out how to work each set every time.

San Fran Disco's Union Square. Like Fed Square in Melbourne but not as cool.

Cars actually drive up these things. Some roads are more like walls and these have been blocked off.

Clam chowder in environmentally friendly edible bread bowls. It made it all the more delicious.

There are lots of sea lions in SF. Bet you didn't know that.

Touring the San Francisco Bay by boat. Do you recognise that famous landmark? Yes! It's Joanden Gate Bridge!

2 Comments:
Wow, sounds like fun.
I totally know what you mean with that whole "chinatown" thing. My parents do that all the time, so much so that I avoid chinatown like the plague whenever I'm overseas.
Have you been keeping up with my "progress" through europe? I've been updating things incrementally as well... although it sometimes seems like my parents are the only people who look at my site
Posted by Daniel
I've been following your site religiously, thank you very much. I've been posting and telling you as much too *hurt*
Sounds like you had a fabulous time Joan. Keep the stories coming! =)
Posted by joee